Have you ever heard of or used organic castor oil? If you’re an organic, natural-product lover, then chances are you have. But if you haven’t, you’re in luck!
More and more, castor oil is becoming a must-have staple in everyone’s bathroom cabinet. But you may be wondering, what exactly is castor oil? Where does it come from and what makes it so special?
Keep reading to discover all the natural and healthy virtues that castor oil has to offer for your body; both in and out.
Castor Oil – What Is It?
Castor oil, simply put, is the oil that is pressed from the castor bean from a castor plant (I know, lots of “castors” there). The oil itself is quite odorless and colorless, but may have a slight pale yellow tint. Its positive benefits are due mainly to its unique composition, composed majorly of ricinoleic acid.
If you think it’s been a recent trend that’s been popping up on Youtube videos and blogs, think again. Castor oil has been around for thousands of years; it’s first uses date all the way back to the Egyptians!
Across centuries and various cultures, castor oil has traveled far and wide and is used by millions everyday (me included, hehe!)
The Many Benefits of Castor Oil
Rich in ricinoleic, linoleic and oleic acid, castor oil offers the perfect natural remedy for your beauty or health. Below are just a few examples of all that castor oil can do!
Castor oil is my go-to natural product for my hair, skin, nails, and more. See below to find out why!
- Hair growth & strength – If you are in need of thickening, strengthening, reinforcing, nourishing or growing your hair (or beard), then castor oil will be your best friend. Try my castor oil hair recipes and start bringing lush and shine back to your hair.
- Soft & supple skin – Don’t waste your money on big-brand creams and lotions. Go all natural with castor oil; your skin will thank you for it! Castor oil works deeply to cleanse skin, despite it being a viscous “oil.” With its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, castor oil soothes skin and helps against acne, psoriasis, etc.
- And much more – Thicken your eyelashes naturally, nourish and protect your nails, help relieve painful burns, and make unsightly scars disappear – all with castor oil.
Castor oil isn’t only beneficial for your outward appearance.* Ready to be impressed some more? See below for a few examples of how castor oil can be a natural remedy for your health as well.
*I DO NOT RECOMMEND ingesting castor oil, even for laxative purposes. Ricin is very potent, and consuming castor oil can have a too-powerful and negative impact on your body.
- Castor oil packs – Tummy ache, joint pain, or something else? Depending on your situation, the application of a castor oil pack can greatly soothe and relieve inward pain when applied topically (again, do not ingest).
- Treat naturally – Whether it’s to relieve acne, treat eczema and sunburn, shed some weight, improve blood circulation or soothe achy muscles with a warm massage, castor oil is very beneficial for your overall health!
Why/How You Should Use It
As if you didn’t already have cause enough, here are some extra reasons why you should use castor oil.
- Long shelf-life
- Easy to apply
- Fun to make recipes
- Great for mixing with other oils
When choosing a castor oil, I always opt for organic, cold-pressed, pure and hexane-free. This ensures that your castor oil is 100% goodness, which means you get to benefit from all the healthy stuff and not any hidden bad stuff! Especially since you are using it for your beauty and health, it’s better to pay the additional buck or two for high-quality.
You can use castor oil as much as you like. I use my castor oil every week, sometimes every day (depends on your wants/needs!) Just adjust your castor oil application times to your schedule. For example, leaving castor oil to soak in on your scalp/hair overnight is very effective for hair growth!
Final Thoughts: Organic Castor Oil
Castor oil, as you see, is a timeless natural remedy. And with all of it’s positive health benefits, there’s no wonder why! Adopting castor oil into your daily routine is as easy as 1-2-3. Try it today!
If you do decide to make the switch to using all-natural products, don’t forget to make castor oil your number 1 choice (my second favorite goes to coconut oil). It’s definitely a decision I won’t regret, and neither will you!
This is a guest post by Brittany from Castoroil-guide.com, a unique blog dedicated to everything related to Castor Oil.