We’ve all seen it right? Whether it’s at the local dance studio, by the pool on vacation or on DVD at your local Walmart, Zumba is everywhere!
Easily the biggest dance-fitness craze to happen this century, there are now many different types of Zumba that make getting fit fun again.
But what exactly is Zumba and what makes it so awesome? Well, in this article we intend to find out exactly that!
What is Zumba?
Zumba is a dance-based fitness workout which offers an array of different classes suitable for people of all ages and abilities. Originally created by Choreographer Alberto ‘Beto’ Perez from Colombia in the early 90s, Zumba gained international recognition with its Zumba Fitness program.
Over the past 10 years, Zumba has expanded rapidly. Not only is it recognized worldwide, but there are now over at least 12 different programs offered internationally, covering all aspects of fitness for all ages and abilities.
Types of Zumba
The most popular types of Zumba include:
- Zumba Fitness – An awesome full body workout regularly referred to as “exercise in disguise”. An opportunity to shake what your mamma gave you to an array of Latin rhythms. For anyone who loves to dance and get a serious sweat on, this is the class for you!
- STRONG by Zumba – A group exercise class driven by the principals of high intensity interval training (HIIT). Working specifically on muscle tone and endurance, this class is designed to make you achieve your fitness goals faster.
- Zumba Step – For everyone who loves the traditional step aerobics class but with some added Latin flavor sprinkled in for fun!
- Zumba Toning – For those who want to take the basic fitness class to the next level by using hand weights in order to add resistance.
- Aqua Zumba – These lessons are a low impact alternative to their fitness classes, offering those with less able joints the opportunity to enjoy a high energy workout.
- Zumba Sentao – Although this class uses chairs through the majority of the session, this is no time to take a bre
ak! Building core strength and burning major calories, this program is for those looking for a challenge in their workout!
- Zumba Gold – This class is for our slightly older but just as active ladies and gents! Offering traditional fitness moves at a lower intensity focusing on balance and flexibility.
- Zumba Gold Toning – Just like Zumba Gold, this session is based around the principals of their toning classes, but at a lower intensity intended for older adults.
- Zumba Kids – For children aged between 7 and 11 years, this is an opportunity for the kiddies to get their Zumba on!
- Zumba Kids Jr – Another class based around their traditional dance moves but this time for tiny fitness enthusiasts aged 4 to 6 years.
- Zumbini – A session for the tiniest of all little movers, aged between 0 and 3 years. These classes offer babies an opportunity to bond and be active in a fun and safe environment.
- Zumba in the Circuit – Offering those who prefer circuit training the opportunity to give Zumba a go at the same time! Sessions combine feisty Latin rhythms with high intensity strength training, achieving an excellent whole-body workout.
Where do I Start?
The easiest way to get going is to join one of the many classes on offer. Because there is so much variety, it is easy to find a class which suits both your age and ability. You will find an abundance of classes held locally, in almost every gym and dance studio, community center and even your local church hall! Also, the official Zumba website offers you the opportunity to put in your city and will give you a list of classes and qualified instructors near you!
Of course, all classes come at a cost. You can expect to pay anything from $4 to $10 depending on the program you participate in, the venue you attend and the level of qualifications your instructor holds.
However, if you’re not quite ready to brave your local group session, you can always enjoy the benefits of Zumba Fitness in the comfort of your own home. There are a number of home options available including DVDs, online videos and even games for the Wii.
Benefits of Zumba
Zumba offers a vast array of benefits to both your physical and mental health. Obviously, each individual program is designed to specifically target particular aspects of fitness, but in general every Zumba class improves both cardiovascular fitness and improves all over muscle strength and tone. It is fair to say that Zumba is the ultimate fitness class when it comes to a total body workout. Zumba is reported to improve the following:
- Cardio fitness
- Muscle Tone
- Muscle Conditioning
- Calorie Burning
Furthermore, with their classes centered around the philosophy of fun, a Zumba session can minimize stress, take your mind off your worries and release those all important endorphins leaving you happy and stress free.
We’ve said many times before, finding an exercise class that you enjoy can be a real boost to your motivation to lose weight.
Calories burned from Zumba
It is fair to say that most of us attend fitness classes in order to ‘feel the burn’ and Zumba is no different. Reportedly burning through a whopping 500-1000 calories in one 60 minute session, Zumba could well leave you feeling lighter when you walk out than when you walked in.
It’s fair to say that Zumba have all their bases pretty well covered. With a fitness program available for all ages and abilities, it is easy to find a fun-filled session that suits you. Whether you try it at the gym or in the comfort of your own home, Zumba guarantees a fun way to burn off a calorie or two.
So if the dullness of your daily workout is dragging you down and you keep expecting to find Bill Murray standing next to your treadmill holding a groundhog, then why not try taking a Zumba class today!